TORONTO — Trading of shares in Sears Canada (TSX:SCC) has been halted ahead of the Toronto Stock Exchange’s open at 9:30 a.m.The agency that regulates Canada’s stock trading says the halt is pending news from the department store operator.Halts are routinely issued when key developments could affect a company’s share price.Sears Canada’s stock has already fallen dramatically amid questions about its future.Last week, the company announced “significant doubt” about its ability to operate in its current form.Sears Canada has said it could be sold or restructured but hasn’t commented on a report it might seek court protection from creditors.Shareholders rank after lenders and creditors in bankruptcy proceeding, so company shares could plunge if it does go the court route.

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgIn celebration of National Voter Registration Day on Tuesday, September 25, The Voter Participation Center joins with Balcony Films for a release of a new music video and original song, “L.O.V.E. (Let One Voice Emerge),” urging women and other unregistered voters to head to the ballot box on November 6.Video: L.O.V.E. Let One Voice Emerge: The Music Video“Let one voice emerge, let your voice be heard” at the voting booth, the song reminds voters. Unmarried women, persons of color and young people – the Rising American Electorate – comprise 53 percent of the voting eligible population, and yet represent 63 percent of all unregistered citizens.“We felt a music video with incredible star power in recognition of National Voter Registration Day would be an attention-getting way to encourage all eligible Americans to participate in our great democracy,” says Page Gardner, President of the Voter Participation Center. “The message is simple: Get registered and get to the polls on November 6. Let the voice of one join the voices of millions and be heard.”“L.O.V.E. (Let One Voice Emerge)” was co-written by Grammy-winning artist Patti Austin, Grammy-winner and twice Oscar-nominated singer/songwriter Siedah Garrett, five-time Grammy-winning producer/composer Mervyn Warren, and Grammy and Tony-nominated songwriter/artist Brenda Russell. The song was produced and arranged by Mervyn Warren. The new music video features hit artists Fergie (Black Eyed Peas), Keke Palmer (actress/recording artist), Patti Austin (entertainer/song writer), Siedah Garrett (song writer and performer), Sheila E (musician/actress), Brenda Russell (songwriter), Judith Hill (singer/songwriter), Lalah Hathaway (R&B artist), and Jenna Ushkowitz (“Glee”).Renowned producer Julie Bergman Sender and Oscar-nominated director Stuart Sender, through their production company Balcony Films, developed the L.O.VE. project and music video with director David Galvez, Jr. The L.O.V.E. music video and additional PSAs feature an array of committed celebrities, including Fergie, Kate Walsh (“Private Practice”), Alexa Vega (“Spy Kids”), Joe Johnson (Brooklyn Nets), Regina King (actress), Seth Green (actor), Quinton Aaron (“The Blind Side”), Reborn (Christian rap artist), Cody Horn (actress), Sophia Bush (actress), Amy Brenneman (actress), Amy Smart (actress) among others.In developing the project, producer Julie Bergman Sender explained, “We wanted to create an anthem – to show this group of American women how valuable their voices are to the health of our democracy and the power that one voice – each and every voice – really has. L.O.V.E. (Let One Voice Emerge) is our answer to the question ‘Why does my voice matter?’”The music video directs viewers to a new website, www.LOVEVoting.org, where visitors can view a special message from Dr. Maya Angelou, download the song for free, view outtakes from the recording and alternative versions, and register to vote through the Voter Participation website www.voterparticipation.org. Visitors to the LoveVoting.org site may choose to support the effort by donating to the Voter Participation Center and the song will be available on iTunes, Amazon.com music and other major online music distributors.“This is our L.O.V.E. song to America,” says L.O.V.E. co-writer and acclaimed vocalist and performer Patti Austin. “When I discovered that nearly 20 million unmarried women don’t vote, I had to do something. So I went to three of the most talented people I know to work with on this. We have never collaborated together before and I couldn’t think of a more auspicious reason to come together.”Also participating in the campaign are Rachel Leigh Cook (actress), Josh Hopkins (“Cougar Town”), Michael B. Jordan (“The Wire”), Sharon Lawrence (actress), Alyssa Milano (actress), Patrick Muldoon (actor/singer), Chris Olsen (actor), Danielle Panabaker (actress), Harold Perrineau (“Lost”), Reborn (Christian rap artist), Jessica Szohr (“CSI: Miami”) and many others.last_img

Rabat – The Interior ministry and Qatar’s embassy in Morocco signed, on Tuesday in Rabat, an agreement of a special grant worth 23.5 million dirhams given by HH Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani to Morocco’s electricity and drinking water facility (ONEE) to carry out a project of supplying the Guelmim province with drinking water.The agreement was signed by ONEE head Ali Fassi Fihri, wali director general of local authorities at the Interior ministry Abdellatif Benchrifa, and Qatar’s ambassador to Morocco Abdullah Bin Falah Bin Abdullah Adussari.The grant will supply 11 villages of the “Plage Blanche” commune with drinking water. It consists of building a pumping station, the installation of water conveyance along 25 km, the construction of a 100 m3 semi-underground tank, the building of a 75 km distribution network and the installation of 300 individual connections.   The project will contribute to improving inhabitants’ living conditions and health and promoting the socio-economic development of the villages of Sidi Aissa Ou Ali, Maitour, Chaaibate, Ain Rahma and Joui Manasse, Agoujgal, Ajoui Azkara, Lafouija Charkia and Gharbia, Rass Tari Charkia, Ras Tait Gharbia, Kheing Soltan and douar Fouijate Sidi Ahmed Alkehal.

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by Kelvin Chan And Joanna Chiu, The Associated Press Posted Oct 3, 2014 6:41 pm MDT Hong Kong protesters stage massive, defiant rally despite attacks, warnings to clear streets HONG KONG – Pro-democracy protesters were defiant in the face of attacks by opponents and warnings by the Hong Kong government to clear the streets, staging a massive rally Saturday evening in the downtown business district they’ve occupied for a week.“Democracy now! Democracy in Hong Kong!” thousands chanted as speakers from the movement seeking wider political reforms for this former British colony urged them to persist in their campaign. The rally lasted hours, with participants at times clapping and cheering as a stream of speakers and singers addressed them and performed popular songs.“We are not seeking revolution. We just want democracy!” said Joshua Wong, a 17-year-old student leader. “We hope there will be no violence,” he said. “It would be unfortunate if this movement ended with bloodshed and violence.”Standoffs between the protesters and their antagonists grew uglier during the day, as the two sides traded insults and at times taunted police. The city’s leader said streets occupied by the protest must be cleared by Monday.Although the mostly student-led protesters stuck to their pledges of non-violence, holding up their arms to show peaceful resistance, some shouted abuse at people who gathered to challenge their occupation of a major street in the gritty, blue-collar Mong Kok district, which is home to many migrants from the Chinese mainland.“Go back to the mainland,” some shouted, cursing them in Cantonese.Minor skirmishes broke out constantly, broken up by police or bystanders. Adding to the disorder, some residents dumped water from their apartments onto the people below.The students accused police of failing to protect them from attacks Friday by mobs intent on driving them away, shouting “Black Police!” — a reference to their claim that the police had allied with “black societies,” or criminal gangs, to clear out the protesters. The claim was vehemently denied by the government.The city’s top leader, Chief Secretary Leung Chun-ying, appeared on television Saturday evening to once again urge everyone to go home, saying things needed to get back to normal by Monday.“There are many problems to be resolved in society, but the right way is through rational communication to seek common ground while holding back differences,” he said. “Not fighting on the streets, which makes things worse.”On Friday night and early Saturday, police arrested 19 people during a night of running brawls in which at least 12 people and six officers were injured. Eight men were believed to have backgrounds linked to triads, or organized crime, said Senior Superintendent Patrick Kwok Pak-chung. Those arrested were facing charges of unlawful assembly, fighting in public and assault, Kwok said.Officials vehemently denied rumours they might have co-ordinated with the gangs to clear the streets.“Such rumours linking us to ‘black societies,’ are utterly unfair,” Hong Kong’s visibly agitated security chief, Lai Tung-kwok, told reporters.Cheung Tak-keung, the deputy police superintendent, said the police were trying their best to maintain “buffer zones” between people of opposing views.“The situation was not easy to handle. There were thousands of people,” Cheung said, noting that many of those gathered were just onlookers who could get caught up in a “very high risk activity.”“We strongly condemn all violent acts,” he said, cautioning people to avoid such areas because “unsettled people’s emotions may cause more confrontations.”The confrontations led protest leaders to call off planned talks with the government. Students and other activists object to China’s decision to require a committee of mostly pro-Beijing figures screen candidates for the city’s first-ever election of its top leader in 2017. They are also demanding Leung’s resignation.With the talks suspended, the next steps were uncertain. Police have repeatedly urged everyone to clear the streets but have shown tolerance after the use of pepper spray and tear gas to disperse protesters last weekend just drew larger crowds.The standoff in Mong Kok, across Victoria Harbor from the activists’ main protest encampment, was tense with opponents at times chanting “Pack Up!” at the mostly youthful protesters. At least some of the opponents are residents fed up with blocked streets and related inconveniences.The opponents of the demonstrations are using blue ribbons to signal their support for the mainland Chinese government, while the pro-democracy protesters are wearing yellow ribbons.Some people on the “blue ribbon” side rallied in Kowloon’s waterfront Tsim Sha Tsui. “Love Hong Kong” and “Support Police” they chanted, holding up flags and heart-shaped signs with the slogan, “Alliance in support of our police force.”“Now the students are trying to control the government,” complained a man who gave only his first name, Jackie. “If there was a riot on Wall Street in America they wouldn’t tolerate such troublemaking.”The Hong Kong Federation of Students, one of the groups leading the protests that drew a peak crowd of tens of thousands of people earlier, said they saw no choice but to rescind their agreement to the talks Leung proposed. They demanded the government hold someone responsible for the scuffles Friday.The allegations that organized crime members were involved fueled jitters at the movement’s main camp, outside government headquarters.“Many people are gathering here and they are very determined to unite against the triad members,” said Amy Ho, 21, who was studying translation at university.___Associated Press writers Wendy Tang and Elaine Kurtenbach contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *